Monday, January 3, 2011

Three Things 2010

A few years ago my stand mixer changed my life. Then the electric tea kettle came into my world and became my favorite kitchen thing. (Thanks, mom, on both counts.) 2010 was a year of humbler updates. Thirteen years post-wedding-shower, I finally got around to acquiring or replacing a few of the little gadgets that make cooking more fun. (and by the way, I love it that department stores have a section called "gadgets.")


First we praise the pizza cutter, which Santa left in my stocking for Christmas last year. It is both practical and lovely with its chrome accents. No household with pizza lovers or bakers of homemade pizza should be without one of these. 

Second, a kitchen workhorse was updated when I replaced my old silicone spatulas. They did their work well but their wooden handles were starting to – ugh - mildew under the silicone. I’m not sure these metal-handled spatulas were the best choice for the stovetop because the metal tends to get hot, but for cookie and cake making, they are the bomb.

Third, just in time for the November/December cookie-making season, I finally broke down and replaced my dull grater with a proper microplane zester. It’s so easy and fun that I want to find more lemon and orange recipes just so I can get it out and play with it.

What was new in your kitchen last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment